Friday, September 14, 2012

Season 2!

                 And I'm back. After a 4 month vacation in the states it's time for "The Real World Antarctica: Season 2". Our second season started with my friends Shelby, Mike, Brian, and myself getting delayed in Christchurch, New Zealand four days in a row that allowed us to live every day as if it were our last, knowing ahead of time what to savor before leaving. Along with walking the botanical gardens every day and drinking gourmet coffee, this included random bus hopping to nowhere, a day of haircuts that ended with Shelby having half her head shaved, and plenty of bottles of Scrumpy (delicious kiwi hard cider). After our fourth "last meal" of every option of fresh fried fish available at a Vietnamese restaurant, we had the conversation of if we don't fly tomorrow we're tattooing the side of Shelby's head. We left the next day.
                The first and only thing that hit me as I walked out of the C17 to the ice was "Damn is dark!" It was kind of great seeing everything in the night with a complete idea of where I was without the memory of ever seeing it this way. The following days produced only hours of sunlight for us to get our barrings again, but the most amazing sunsets bouncing off the mountain range and surrounding glaciers.
                 I have only seen the night stars twice since being back and they are amazing. The chances of seeing auroras at this point are getting slimmer, but with the worst weather of the year it is hard to find a time where the sky is clear and the conditions perfect. Going throw Con 1 conditions where the light post 7 feet away from the window is hidden by 40mph gusts of thick snow has been fun though. Not quite worth missing out on nigh time, but giving the true movie experience of -40 windshear and sounds matching the most epic of storm films. That noise you make with your tong pushed up against the back of your throat to mimic wind actually happens here.
                  There are a few things happening this time I didn't get to experience last season. Since I am here for Winfly and not Main Body, I get to see the weather go nuts and in turn shovel out my work place frequently. There is a certain excitement shoveling your way out of a room, it's just strange when you have to start inside because of the wind blowing threw the cracks created an ice pile in the entry. I am also taking better care to watch out for door knobs. Cold is fine, but super chilled to where it burns my skin isn't as much fun.
                  That said, it is nice having the place to ourselves. Where the number of people hit 1200 last year, right now there is around 300 of us. It's made readjusting a lot easier. And for the next month there are no flights in or out which pretty much means I'm stuck on this barren ice shelf I call home and these people I call family. Another day in paradise.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment