Sunday, December 4, 2011

Holidays

           I figured being down here would throw a wrench in the feelings of joy and excitement I get around the holidays. Not only is it becoming summer and McMudhole is creeping out of the snow melt, but being without people who've known you for over two months kinda puts the breaks on the vibe.
           Thanksgiving turned out to be one of the easiest days I've worked here. We had adopt a DA going on, so for an extra hour we had someone come in and replace us from the community. We also had a full hour to eat dinner which was a challenge as the urge to eat everything clashed with our habit of chowing down dinner as fast as possible. The icing on the cake was the standing ovation the kitchen staff got after the first of three Thanksgiving meals was served. If I could have every person I served in a day stand up at the end and applaud for me I think it would make the crappiest of situations better. I recommend this to anyone. I don't recommend trying for a nap when drunk people are waiting for their turn to eat in the hallways outside your door. Just make sure if you do you don't have any sharp objects, or heavy things to throw at them when they don't understand your frustration when you ask them to be quiet.

            I am finding myself thankful for the small things. And here they are:

  1. Insects, Butt Face Bumble who came in the honey, and the fruit fly I bonded with who showed up in the salad. You guys remind me that every time a bug dies here a species becomes extinct on the continent. Thanks for sharing your last days with us.
  2. Freshies, aside from bringing said insect buddies, they are the only source of fresh food we have. Sucks that a two day storm kept them from arriving for Thanksgiving dinner, but it made life easier for all involved to just open that can of fruit cocktail from the 90's and call it a holiday.
  3. Knowing your neighbors, in the sense that the question "Where are you from?" is no longer asked because there is no straight answer down here and no one has the time to explain the last five years of traveling that got them to this point anyway.
  4. Living on the edge, where naked is socks and a base layer. You always feel like a deviant when you walk down the hall from the shower in your shorts. Exhilarating.
           At this point the majority of the people are hitting their half way mark. I am still a little ways away, but the planning of coming back has become the new buzz topic. I do enjoy my job down here, but the thought of scrubbing pots for another half a year is a little daunting. I did, however, get to work with the Food Monkeys. The small group that pulls food from the variety of warehouses is named so because the freezer is a giant hanger of crates stacked 4 - 5 high. To get food you climb up the faces of the crates and chuck the 660lbs of turkey down to the catcher. It's made more fun by the fact that it is packed in and there is no room for forklifts in a lot of it so you're just free climbing like a monkey. They were nice enough before they put me to work to point out the "crevasses" and points were I could fall to my death. Did not have to do pull ups in the gym after that day. I would totally come back for that.

Till later
Chris

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris I didn't know that was what you were doing there: a glorified kitchen-hand/dish-pig. I was a dish-pig in Adelaide, good times. constantly eating out of the walk in fridge, staying in there to finish my mouthful so no-one would suspect i was eating when i walked out. The monkey climbing sounds fun, risky but fun.
    How are your fingertips from the constant hot plates etc?
    Look forward to hearing more about your days there. I forgot that Antarctica is in the southern hemisphere and thus has same seasons as in Australia. My Mum is visiting me in OP at the moment. My Australian mannerisms and lingo is coming out. You bloody yobbo.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete